Saturday, May 15, 2010

Real Romance

This morning, I lolled in bed until a seriously late hour. When I could finally be bothered to kick back the covers, my husband was just coming home from running errands. And what did he have in his hands? A Starbucks latte just for me!

"This is the kind you like, right?" he asked, handing over the perfect cup 'o designer Joe. I was impressed, for several reasons: (1) My drink order is embarrassingly complicated. (2) My drink order has changed since we started dating. (3) Normally I get Starbucks on the way to work, when I'm alone and cranky.

His powers of observation regarding such a little thing made me feel so loved... and so well-known. And, really, the two go hand in hand!

To me, this is real romance. I don't need an emotionally wounded vampire. I wouldn't know what to do with a wealthy alpha oil tycoon. In my daily life, I get my romantic kicks off of little things like this. I'm so glad to be married to even-keeled Mr. Marvelous, who know how to do the laundry and doesn't complain when we eat Cheerios for dinner. What a guy!

I want to know about your real-life romance! What are the little things your hero (or heroine) does to inspire you? Alternatively, who are some real life romance couples you know--and what makes them so great? (Yes, I imagine I'll go on and on about my parents in the comments section.)

7 comments:

Anna Richland said...

The coffee delivery is a killer, isn't it? Mr. Richland is a marathoner, which means many before work runs. He used to bring me a latte from up the street three or four mornings a week on the way back from his 8-mile run. After a couple years he happily gave me a Nespresso one-touch pod latte/coffee machine for Christmas. I'm functioning earlier in the morning, but a little bit of the romance left the coffee.

Erin said...

Every so often Ray brings me a tea latte when he meets me at school. It always gives me a little tug when he gets the order right without any reminders.

Kali said...

My drink order changes with my moods and half the time even I don't know what I want. My hubby always manages to guess correctly though. I swear he's psychic sometimes.
His best romantic move though is taking our son down to "help" him in the garage so I can write in peace.

Kate Diamond said...

Thank you all for sharing! Isn't it funny that drink orders are such a huge part of romance?

Tonight, Mr. Marvelous will attend a school play with me. This isn't the most romantic date ever... the fact that he's willing to accompany me on one of my teacher outings really makes me appreciative!

ιŸ‹δΊŽε€«ζˆ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shelli Stevens said...

Oh man I have no real life romance *sob!*

But I did tag you on my blog, feel free to ignore it :P

Mom said...

That son-in-law of mine is Mr. Marvelous, I'm glad you found such a wonderful man to share your life. You do realize that this makes you Ms Marvelous? Yeah, you are.