Thursday, January 07, 2010

New Year, New Books

I am not making any resolutions this year, for the simple reason that I need less stress in my life. Rather than resolutions, I have a hope: a hope that I spend more of my time doing what will make me happy, instead of what I think will make other people happy. (Teaching: a dangerous day job for anyone with martyr-complex tendencies.)

Well, one of the things that makes me happy is reading, and some of my favorite authors have books coming out this year. It's also a chance to catch up on my TBR pile. So, without further ado, here's my TBR list for the year!

I'd also love to know which books you're looking forward to reading in 2010, and if any of you are brave enough to make resolutions.
Finally, if you have any reading recommendations for September, November, or December I would love to hear them!

* * * * *

January: Knight of Pleasure (Margaret Mallory)
I love me some medieval romance novels. And Ms. Mallory is a member of my local RWA--bonus!

February: Pleasure of a Dark Prince (Kresley Cole)
I've been waiting a long time for Garreth and Lucia's story. Cole's werewolves are so hot--all alpha-male, lusty, and elemental. Yes, please!

March: Wild Ride (Bob Mayer and Jennifer Crusie)

April: Prep: A Novel (Curtis Sittenfeld)

May: Chasing Perfect (Susan Mallery)

Book 1 Fools Gold series

June: Ten Things I Love About You (Julia Quinn)


July: I Kissed an Earl (Julie Anne Long)

Fourth book in the Pennyroyal Green series.

August: Freedom From Fear: The American People in Depression and War, 1929-1945 (David Kennedy)
Okay, a big departure from my genre reading... but this behemoth Pulitzer-Prize winner has been in my TBR pile since 2002, and I can never get past the Hoover presidency...

September: ???

October: You Again (Jennifer Crusie)
Emmeline takes a job caring for two orphans in the middle of nowhere (also known as Southern Ohio) at the behest of her ex-husband, and ends up with a houseful of delinquents, ex-in-laws, and ghosts. Plus there’s a haunted couch. Trouble ensues.

November: ???

December: ???

3 comments:

Mary Kirkland said...

I love Kresley Cole, I'm reading Kiss of a Demon King by Kresley Cole. It's already a great book and I'm only about 50 pages into it.

Holly said...

Happy New Year to all the ladies at DSW.

I don't set resolutions, either, but I think that's a good hope to have.

I heard good things about Margaret Mallory. I might have to bump her up on the wishlist.

Anna Richland said...

I really like that your resolution is to read a particular book each month. Are you going to give us a paragraph on that book - a thumbs up or down type of thing?

For your TBR: For a complete genre change, what about Small Death in Lisbon by Robert Wilson? It is complex, dark and extremely interesting - not pretty. Tackles a frequent fiction topic - WWII espionage - from a totally unique angle (Portugal, precious minerals, modern day murder, etc). Kind of fits the way I'm thinking about the world sometimes these days. I have no idea if this is a type of book you steer clear of, but you do read some dark paranormal.

If you want a frothy loveable romance, I was very excited by Loretta Chase's Mr. Impossible recently and I also loved Joanna Bourne's first Regency, The Spymaster's Lady. Read the Smart Bitches reviews - it was an "A-" book, which as we know is almost impossibly good. Bonus - I sat next to Ms. Bourne at a couple things at an RWA pre-conference several years ago and she is incredibly friendly and gracious so I was very happy to see that she is also a fabulous writer. Isn't it nice when they both come together?